Government Registers 2400 Ugandans Stranded Abroad

 
 
 

KAMPALA

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it has so far registered 2400 Ugandans stuck abroad following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.

In April, Government through the different Ugandan Embassies and High Commissions abroad started the process of registering and verifying Ugandans who are stranded due to COVID-19 for possible evacuation and support.

The embassies mainly reached out to citizens whose return to Uganda was interrupted, to register with them.

Although their was excitement on possible evacuation of the Ugandans, Government later said the registration was for possible support especially feeding, medical and negotiations for visa extension.

Now PRIME RADIO has learnt that only 2400 Ugandans were registered internationally, in the two weeks of the process.

According to the Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Patrick Mugoya, they registered only 2400 people, a number that is slightly lower than expected.

According to the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Henry Okello Oryem, although they have concluded the registration process, unfortunately the Ugandans registered are actually only those who were stuck, and yet they hoped to get statistics of Ugandans abroad.

“We thought we would register all Ugandans, but we only got those who were genuinely stranded,” said Oryem.

Government will today lay down a plan to help Ugandans stuck abroad, while there are anticipations of reopening from the lockdown.

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni is today expected to address the nation and possibly relax the lockdown.

Uganda currently has 227 Cases of COVID-19, and is currently battling the problem of truck drivers importing the cases.

 
 

21 More Drivers Test Positive to COVID-19

 
 
 

KAMPALA

Another 21 truck drivers have tested positive for Coronavirus Disease COVID-19, according to results released by the health ministry this morning. This brings the number of confirmed cases to 248.

At least 17 out of the 21 cases were collected at the Elegu point of entry, three were from Mutukula and one from Malaba. The tests were part of 1,324 that were carried out on Sunday. Dr Henry Mwebesa, the Director-General of Health Services says the delay in releasing the results was caused by a late start of testing at the Central Public Health Laboratory.

“Samples from truck drivers had to be sorted appropriately and divided between the Uganda Virus Research Institute and the National Health Laboratory Services by the laboratory teams for quick turn around. Testing at NHLS begun at 7:30 pm yesterday evening hence the delay in reporting results,” Dr Mwebesa said.

He adds that the health ministry is working towards installing Genexpert machines at points of entry in order to ensure that results are released on time. This will make sure that drivers know their COVID-19 status before they are allowed to enter the country.

NHLS is one of eight laboratories that will be testing for COVID-19 in the country. Testing at NHLS will be carried out using the Cobas 8800 which has the capacity to carry out 192 tests per hour. The laboratory yesterday received 15,000 PCR tests.

Globally, more than 4.7 million people have been affected by the pandemic and 315,000 killed. The World Health Assembly is starting today and has been dedicated to discussing how the global coordination of COVID-19 can be strengthened.

 
 

LISTEN LIVE

Loading ...

Prime Classfieds