National News

 
 
 

State Fails to Send Kanyamunyu Brothers to High Court

KAMPALA

The state has failed to send Matthew Kanyamunyu and his two accomplices to High court for trial for the murder of human rights worker, Kenneth Akena. The other suspects are Cynthia Munwangari, Kanyamunu's girlfriend and his brother, Joseph Kanyamunyu.

The trio is on remand for the murder of Kenneth Akena on November 12, 2016 at Lugogo Forest mall along Jinja Highway in Kampala district. The Kanyamunyus insist they found Akena shot and only helped to carry him to hospital for emergency treatment.

Last week, the state objected to the trio's bail application so as to conclude investigations and present them in High court today. Justice Elizabeth Kabanda declined to release the trio, saying they didn't present any exceptional circumstances warranting their release on bail such as old age and ill health as it's demanded in capital offenses.

This morning, the state prosecutor, Rachael Nabwire told Nakawa court that investigations were still ongoing when the matter came up for mention. She asked court for another date to help prosecution tie loose ends.

As a result, Noah Sajjabi, the Nakawa Grade One Magistrate adjourned the matter to January 31, 2017 to enable police wide up investigations. He ordered the suspects to be taken back to Luzira prison until then.

 
 

160 Nakaseke District Staff Over-payed - Auditor General

 
 
 

LUWERO

The Auditor General has ordered Nakaseke district Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to recover 34 million shillings which was overpaid to staff.

The Public Service Standing Orders provide for salaries to be paid correctly and promptly in accordance with the approved salary structure.

However, in the financial year 2014/15, Nakaseke district paid salaries over and above the authorised salary scales. The over payments amounted to over 34 million shillings. In the list seen by PRIME RADIO, over 160 district staff were paid above their salaries in variance of between 40,000 and 310,000 shillings.

In his report for 2015/16, the Auditor General John Muwanga notes that the CAO promised to recover the funds from the staff starting September 2015 but till to-date the funds remain outstanding.

The auditor general has asked the CAO to initiate recovery measures, and open individual personal advance accounts to record the amount due to the district.The recovered money is supposed to be deposited on government consolidated account.

The report also faulted the Nakaseke accounting officer for failure to deduct the Local service tax from 69 district staff causing a loss of 1.7 million shillings in the financial year 2015/16.

But when PRIME RADIO reached CAO Edith Mutabaazi, she declined to comment on the report saying she has not got a copy.

One of the beneficiaries of the over-payments told PRIME RADIO that she thought the money was an increment on her salary and didn't mind about questioning it. She however promised to repay it in instalments when the CAO writes to her. She was supposed to be paid shillings 481,302 but she found shillings 792,885 on her account.

Disan Lwanga, the district Councillor for Kiwoko town council blames CAO for neglecting her duty, something that can lead government to lose the money. He warns that she will be held accountable if the staff don't repay the money.

In the same report, the Auditor General has also noted that local governments irregularly paid 11.3 billion shillings to staff and pensioners. The irregularities included over payments worth shillings 1.1 billion, Unsupported Pension Payments worth 9.5 billion shillings and 657 million shillings wrongly paid to staff as salaries in the local governments across the country.

"The district Accounting Officers attributed the irregularities to challenges encountered during decentralisation of salary payments on the Integrated Financial Management system (IFMS) and Integrated Personnel and payroll system (IPPS) and outright errors during the salary payment process. " the report reads in part

The Auditor General said he is yet to get evidence to that effect and has since ordered the relevant accounting officers to recover the funds from the beneficiaries.

 
 

Makerere Declines to Review Food Contracts

 
 
 

KAMPALA

Makerere University has declined to review the contract of food providers to government sponsored students. The university is under pressure from the food providers to increase the money paid for each student citing the high commodity prices.

Initially, each service provider was contracted for one year comprising of two semesters subject to renewal depending on their performance. The Government Valuer determined the appropriate rental fees for kitchen space for the stipulated period of the service contracts.

Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe, the Makerere University Vice Chancellor in Charge of Finance, says, each service provider has been paying between Shillings 500, 000 and Shs1.5 million each month. He however, says the university management waived off the fees pending the approval of the contracts committee due to the escalation of food prices.

He says one of the proposals they are considering is prompt payment of the suppliers to enable them buy food directly from the market.

The food suppliers include Venus Meals Enterprises - University Hall, Rema Restaurant and Take Away serves Nibirwa and Nkrumah Halls, Finland Bars and Restaurant serves Mary Stuart, Complex and Lumumba Halls.

Bbosa Institutional Catering Services serves students in Africa, Livingstone Hall on campus as well as medical students at Galloway House in Mulago, and Agriculture students at Kabanyolo student's hostel in Gayaza. In the contract, service providers were to provide food including but not limited to beef, chicken, fish, rice, beans, peas, matooke, sweet potatoes, posho, milk, bread and eggs.

The companies were supposed to provide quality affordable meals to students within the acceptable range of Shs. 2000/- per meal. Government provides Shs.4000/- per day for meals for each student. However, the university says the money insufficient.

Makerere University was covered with a spate of food strikes prior to its closure in November 2016. On October 19, a group of students from Complex hall, Lumumba hall, and Mary Stuart staged a strike to protest poor quality meals that saw 15 students suspended.

 
 

LISTEN LIVE

Prime Classfieds